By: Ariel C. Brodnax
Have your kids show some appreciation for the family cat, by having them make this creative pet frame. This is a beginner project that can take up to 2 hours to
Plaid Supplies Used:
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint - 20216 Fuchsia
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint - 20513 Bright Yellow
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint - 20740 Parakeet
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint - 20504 Black
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint - 20503 White
Frame 4" x 6" - 96286
Other Supplies Used:
Chenille pom-poms 1/4" - hot pink, Chenille pom-poms
1/4" - lime green, Chenille stems 6mm x 12" - black, White felt,
Ribbon - your choice, Black paint marker, Hot glue gun, Foam paintbrush, Thin
permanent black marker, White cardstock, and Glue
1. Sand the entire picture frame lightly using the foam nail
2. Apply two coats of Fuchsia to picture frame, allowing
frame to dry twenty minutes between coats. Apply two coats of Black to picture frame easel back,
allowing to dry twenty minutes between coats.
3. Cut out templates (either cat or dog). Lay out ear
templates on white felt and trace around each template using the black marker.
(Note: Ear templates are mirror images, so trace one ear, flip over, and trace
the second ear.). Apply Fuchsia to back of ears (side without the trace
marks) and allow to dry. (Note: Paint will bleed through to front of felt
templates. This is okay.) (Step 3 photo.)
4. Apply one coat of White to front of each ear template to
cover the Fuchsia paint bleed through. Allow to dry.
5. Apply one coat of Parakeet over White paint to front of
each ear template and allow to dry. Cut out each ear.
6. Cut white cardstock in half and glue together. Transfer
corresponding cat or dog collar tag to white cardstock. Allow to dry.
7. Cut out collar tag and paint Parakeet. Allow to dry.
Write pet's name on tag using thin black marker.
8. Tape off bottom of picture frame as shown and paint
Black. Remove tape. Mark whiskers on either side of the frame using the black
marker for cat picture frame. Randomly paint polka dots using a 1/4"
spouncer in Bright Yellow and Parakeet as shown.
9. Outline polka dots using the black paint marker. Adhere chenille pom-poms using the hot glue gun.
10. For cat ears, fold slightly in the middle of the ear and
fold across the bottom as shown in the photo. Adhere the ears to the top of the
picture frame using the hot glue gun. Add chenille pom-poms to the outside
edges of the ears.
11. Adhere ribbon around the edge of the picture frame using
the hot glue gun. Adhere ribbon across the bottom, lining up with the edge of
the Black paint, to create the ribbon collar. Adhere small piece of ribbon to
the collar tag to hang from the collar using the hot glue gun. Adhere to collar
and cover with a small bow. Lastly, twist chenille stems as desired and adhere to picture
frame at whisker marks. Adhere one pom-pom to the end of each whisker using the
hot glue gun.